Members drive the agenda and identify the issues relevant to the seed industry. ASTA’s commitment to one company = one vote ensures that issues affecting the many are identified, resulting in effective and proactive advocacy and support. Issues identified by members that currently drive policy discussions and day-to-day operations include:
- Intellectual Property Rights Protection – viewed as the most valuable asset of the seed industry
- Effective Representation – grassroots participation at the state and local, federal and international levels is key to success
- Balancing Diversity – ASTA and the seed industry’s diversity requires an awareness of commodities, services, geography and company size and the importance of advancing the good of the many
- Other General Issues of Interest – trade, phytosanitary, immigration, research, preemption, arbitration, technology, energy, conservation, organic & stewardship
ASTA benefits include:
- Representation of the industry’s interests in domestic and international legislative and regulatory matters.
- The ability to influence the policies and positions of the Association.
- Being part of a strong, effective voice in support of the seed industry's interests.
- Information about seed policy and science issues relating to modern biotechnology, intellectual property rights, invasive species, plant genetic resource conservation, and other topics relevant to the seed industry.
- Educational opportunities and information about research developments, industry trends, business management practices and other topics that can affect seed business and its profitability.
- Providing a forum to share ideas, information, opinions, and concerns with other professionals who have mutual interests.
- Networking opportunities and fellowship among seed professionals.
- ASTA’s Online Membership & Committee Directory.
- Reduced meeting registration fees.
- Regular E-News updates on the latest seed industry developments.
- ASTA’s Management Academy at Purdue University.
- Internet opportunities, such as job postings and company links to ASTA’s Web site.
- Litigation Clearinghouse for obtaining or providing legal information relevant to seed business
For questions about membership opportunities, please contact Cindy Hinton, ASTA director of membership services, at 703-837-8140 or email@example.com.